What is VoiceThread?
VoiceThread is a multimedia presentation tool and discussion space all in one. Lecturers or students can create, share, and comment on images, PowerPoint presentations, videos, audio files, documents, and PDFs, using microphone, webcam, text, phone, and audio file uploads.
VoiceThread allows presenters to create presentations one slide at a time, meaning you can create presentations and add narration when it best suits you or your students. Students can augment presentations with commentary (via multiple media types), ‘doodling’ or marking up the content as they speak to it allowing for optimum creativity.
What can I do with VoiceThread?
- Build presence and community
- Give and receive feedback
“One of the things I felt was missing from our curriculum was the real seminar like we had back in college where you read some heavy material and then sit around the table and dig into it together as a class. … Because the seminar-style course [I was] designing would be delivered completely online with no face-to-face component, [I] needed a way to recreate the seminar table virtually…”
Adena Schutzberg, Penn State University
Why is VoiceThread Important?
VoiceThread is one way to fill the social presence gap that may be found in online learning interactions.
- VoiceThreads can be used to foster peer-to-peer learning and collaboration.
- VoiceThread can be used for discussion around scenarios or topics that need video or image based media.
- VoiceThread resources can be reused in different courses.
- Students can improve their communication, critical listening, watching and response skills using VoiceThread.
- Students can view feedback on their responses in context when it is returned.
What are some examples of practice?
VoiceThread provides a platform for creating resources in multi-sensory environments. In addition, it provides an avenue for online interaction where students can present and defend their work before their peers and instructor.
What VLE tools can VoiceThread integrate with?
Where could I learn more?
- Getting Started Module: VoiceThread
- VoiceThread Overview & Basic Guides. (2019).
- Learning Futures. Professional Learning programs and workshops
- Learning Futures. Explore Learning and Teaching: VoiceThread Use Cases